Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Am I the dumb one?

I think "tonite" is a word. I interchange it with "tonight". Am I dumb? I started to think I might be dumb when I noticed "tonite" doesn't make it through a Microsoft spellcheck. Nor is it included in the dictionary of my predictive text on my phones. Then I checked with Dictionary.com and this is the definition for the word I thought mean "this evening":

tonite
\Ton"ite\, n. [Cf.L. tonare to thunder.] An explosive compound; a preparation of gun cotton.

I have a bad feeling this might be Minnesota-speak - like hotdish or pop. But I feel like others (from coast to coast) use the word in the context I do. Please help. Confirm or deny if I'm dumb -- ooh and maybe Heidi's Steve can do the research on this one to give me a definate answer :)

Otherwise, I'm going to need to find a "Word Talk" show (related to NPR's Car Talk) to try to call into - this one is really bugging me.

2 Comments:

At March 15, 2005 8:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

well, give it time. it will show up in the dictionary as an alternative definition. Hell, wedgie is now accepted by Webster's along with Mcjob and other slang. Oh, to be back in time when people didn't care about such purile crap being part of the english language... Now, having said that, i do understand that any language is constantly evolving, as it must. I don't, on the other hand, have to like what it evolves into...

 
At March 16, 2005 8:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think you're dumb, but tonite is not a word. When I ran the google search: 'Is tonite a word?' the first hit was an English blog. The blogger wrote that tonite is the lazy man's version of tonight. I agree 100%.

-Heidi

 

Post a Comment

<< Home