Friday, May 27, 2005

Bad news for Starbucks

I offically hate Starbucks. Will I never buy from Starbucks again? Doubt it (see my Best Buy hatred yet my continuation of giving them my dollas). Here's what happened.

Following my own advice, I ordered by coffee this morning and asked my barista to leave the lid off. She told me that's not possible, she must place the lid on my coffee but I'm welcome to remove it after she gives it to me lidded. I politely explained that when I do that, it drips - but if the lid is only placed on the cup once and never replaced, the chance of it dripping is greatly reduced.

Barista: I'm sorry, I can't do that.

Laura: Can I bring the pitcher of milk over here and add it to my coffee prior to you placing the lid on it?

Barista: No.

Laura: Can you add the milk to my coffee prior to placing the lid on it?

Barista: No.

Laura: Nevermind, I gotta go there's my bus

I understand that the lady who sued MickeyDs after she spilled coffee on herself has probably prompted legal rules for the baristas. I know - they don't want me to spill on myself and then sue them. I wish someone would sue Starbucks after spilling coffee on themselves as a result of their spitting f-ing lids - maybe that would prompt them to change their cups.

If Brandon could shed any light on this situation from his experience as part of the Starbucks team, that'd be awesome. Thanks.

UPDATE: I just realized a conspiracy theory about Starbucks cups. If you usually ordered coffeee and then took off the lid to add milk, and then your cup consistently dripped on you, how might you react? By ordering a drink that does not need fixins added i.e. their lattes, caps, etc. ALL OF WHICH COST $3 - $5. While a coffee costs less than $2.

Hmmmm.... Maybe this is Starbucks plan to help them rule the world. What do you think?

3 Comments:

At May 27, 2005 2:48 PM, Blogger Brad said...

I am confused that you get spit on every single time you remove/replace your lid at Starbucks. While I am certainly not immune to this situation, I would guesstimate that it occurs to me <10% of the time...

To clarify - this issue occurs because coffee sloshes all over the lid during the walk between the cash register & condiment bar, and then spits out when the lid is replaced? I can only assume that you already request "room for cream," so I won't suggest that.

Maybe ask for "extra room" for cream? There is still plenty of caffeine in the beverage for a nice kick in the ass, but perhaps this will reduce the frequency of spittage.

Seems odd that they are unwilling to add stuff for you, since they do if you drive through (which obviously isn't the case if you're catching a bus).

Are there others experiening said drippage to the degree that Laura is describing?

 
At May 30, 2005 6:30 AM, Blogger Thomas J Wolfenden said...

Coffee Nazis.

And can please, oh please have a cup of coffee flavored coffee if that is at all possible?

 
At June 17, 2005 10:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bradley kinda has it "right-on" try ordering a smaller size in a larger cup...ie. a "tall" in a "grande" cup, if this doesn't work, switch stores that barista is an ass face for not adding stuff, or take "lid-installation" lessons from the hottest Ex-Barista on the planet!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home