Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Jon Stewart = most trusted...

NPR today spoke about the relevance of news anchors in today's age - necessary or no? The topic comes with Peter Jennings death, and reminded me of the forum discussion Alicia and I attended in December at the JFK Center. While they went back and forth on the topic, they reported on something I found notable.

In a recent poll, Jon Stewart was found to be the most trusted news anchor on TV.

Sounds good to me, I agree. Makes sense. Not entirely surprised this is something NPR would report.

But then, the guest starts making fun of this. On the order of, "Well, the Daily Show is on the Comedy Show, that means his show isn't factual, it's comical. And shouldn't be trusted by the American public. This is just like when people vote based on what SNL skits show."

Wait, wait, wait NPR. Hold your horses. Why don't you watch the Daily Show before you start spewing that Jon Stewart is full of shit and not to be trusted? As his viewers know, though he obviously has a left tilt, I still think he often has more truth in his reporting than any of the news stations report. I know - it's "The Daily Show - Fake News!" But it's really not all that fake.

And trusting someone doesn't mean I act based on what they say. I just believe that when Jon gives an opinion it's his. Does this make sense?

2 Comments:

At August 14, 2005 2:36 AM, Blogger Thomas J Wolfenden said...

Makes sense to me...

 
At August 15, 2005 2:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

peter jennings died??? where have i been???
-natalie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home