Monday, September 26, 2005

Bob Jones, Detroit factory worker

Bob Jones works at a factory in Detroit, Michigan. He makes cars for Chevrolet. He gets paid decently because of his union, but his real happiness comes in the fact that he gets the employee discount on the cars and trucks he and his family buy.

Then, in summer 2005, Chevrolet starts offering the employee discount to everyone in the whole damn country with out any qualifiers.

OK, so I made up this story as an example, but I think this isn't that unrealistic... If I were a diligent factory I'd be pissed everybody and their brother got my employee discount.

2 Comments:

At September 26, 2005 11:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would take the approach that the "employee discount for everyone" is one of the few things that is keeping GM's cash flow actually positive at the moment. This positive cash flow, allows worker Bob to put gas in his '87 nova and actually get paid for making some of the worst vehicles in the world at the moment.
Fear not, I think GM's products are actually getting better. Still not good, not world class, not somthing I would introduce to my mother, but better.
Marc
(p.s. Laura call me)

 
At September 27, 2005 9:51 PM, Blogger Laura said...

Is the '87 Nova pink - aka faded red that now looks magenta? I feel like it would be.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home