Sunday, November 13, 2005

My relatives are BIG and I mean big winners

On a scale from one to my relatives on my dad's side all weigh over 200 big ones (including the women), I have large relatives.

However, they are big winners - my hometown newspaper has an annual contest when football/chili/Cheeto season comes around where you "guess" the scores of 18 football games - HS, college, and pro. You just "guess" the winner of each game, and give the score of the "game of the week" as the tiebreaker if needed. At the end of 10 weeks, he/she with the most correct "guesses" wins tickets to a Vikings game.

This year, my grandpa won the tickets. Of those mentioned in the Jackson County Pilot article annoucing the winner, 5 are my relatives:
1. Grandpa
2. Grandma
3. Aunt
6. Uncle
Getting 17 correct in week 10: second cousin

Since I learned to read 20 years ago, I'd say 12/20 years one of my relatives has won the Vikings tickets. I shit you not. How do they "guess" so g.d. accurately when my fantasy football team is 3-6???????

I f-ing love small towns. Not.

PS For some reason, my dad does not partake in the game, though his parents and both siblings placed 1-3, 6. Probably for the same reason our family pronounces our last name differently than everyone we're related to: my mom is the reason.

1 Comments:

At November 13, 2005 8:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are so right! Your mom is from a different culture, though she grew up in a neighboring state which is even more redneck than Minnesota!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home