Sunday, November 13, 2005

The West Side IS the best side

Since Star Magazine did a "where are they now" on the stars of the movie The Outsiders, I have Netflixed The Outsiders and am now reading the book. I'm quite sure I read the book for the first and only time in 1995 (I'm feeling old - I was a soph in HS 10 YEARS ago?).

My memories from Mr. Schmidt's English class was that I read the book in one sit down of about 3 hours. Since my HS doesn't have options like White Bear Lake (Bayside) for taking AP English vs. Dick&Jane English, I vividly recall boys (maybe girls too?) s-t-r-u-g-g-l-i-n-g to make it through the novel (perhaps novella - it's quite short?). 16 year olds that can't read at a 6th grade level - gotta love it.

After this book, we read the Hounds of Baskerville (Sherlock Holmes) and then Of Mice and Men and for the love of god, I swore I had to graduate and move to Mpls ASAP when I couldn't walk to my locker without hearing everyone in my class talk like Lennie while holding pretend pet mice in their pockets. I'm assuming HS boys everywhere suck and do this and not just in J-town?

Back to subject - The Outsiders... I'm reading the book and start thinking about Greasers vs. Socs and Ponyboy is explaining the Socs live on the West Side of town w/ Greasers on the East Side. And probably b/c I was on my way to Manhattan I realized the West Side is the "best side*" of the park.

* By "best side" I just mean that in general, you would find more Socs than Greasers in this part of town. And society generally says this is the "good" part of town. It does not mean I think it is the "best" part of town.

And the western suburbs (Minnetonka-ish) is the best side of Mpls.
And the western suburbs (Westborough, Natick, Newton, Brookline) is the best side of Boston.
And West County is the best side of St. Louis.
And the western suburbs (Waukesha-ish) is the best side of Milwaukee.
And the west end of Jackson is where all the big fancy houses are - out by the Baptist church.

And is this the case everywhere??? And why???

Aside from la above listed examples, I've been scrubbing my list of city knowledge looking for more examples and counter examples. So far I've got my list of best sides:

Chicago - North and West Suburbs
Rapid City - West Side of town
LA - ok this is hard but the Inland Empire is icky and East, and the beach town are West so is the West Side the best side? Zip please advise.
Seattle - Northish perhaps - Redmond is North
London - West (Kensington)
Bay Area - San Francisco is not in the East Bay so SF is the best side and the west side?
DC - NW quadrant is the best - SE by FAR the worst
Miami - East side w/ South Beach I think
Springfield, MA - South side
Austin - perhaps the North side of the Capitol is where 6th/7th street is?
Philadelphia - I think the Northern suburbs
Atlanta - North Side

And for having been to 35 states and probably 15 countries, these are all the cities I can recall... I would LOVE comments about this b/c I seriously think there must be a reason the west is apparently the best.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home