Saturday, December 17, 2005

A night at the orchestra

Friday night I classied it up and spent the evening at the Minnesota Orchestra. Okay, I admit it was a holiday pops concert conducted by Doc Severinsen. I had no clue who he was till my mom told me, but he's quite famous. And wore flamboyant (but not gay) Christmas themed outfits to conduct - very much like Rod from the Price is Right. Fun.

My work friend Lauren suggested the event, and props to her - she also hearts Christmas music :) The concert was super fun - including Benjamin Britten's a Ceremony of Carols, O Holy Night, and a fun version of Jingle Bells.

I saw an ad in the program for the-orchestra-does-Led-Zeppelin. Sounds fun, right? Until I went to look for tickets and it's AT THE TARGET CENTER. Seriously, are they on crack? I can't believe an orchestra would agree to perform in such a bad acoustic venue. No longer interested, thank you very much.

1 Comments:

At December 18, 2005 3:43 PM, Blogger Abby said...

Lots of has been rock groups perform with orchestras now. The orchestra doesn't play anything all that important really but adds the "strings" feel to the ballads most of the time. Metallica did a recording with the San Francisco Symphony about 5 years ago I think that sold well. I'm guessing their intended audience is the metalheads turned office jockeys. You could netflix the DVD to check it out http://www.netflix.com/MovieDisplay?movieid=60030451&trkid=189530.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home