Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Evil MySpace?

I've been questioned lately as to if I "MySpace". I had to go to Bejota to find out what this even meant, and felt stupid for not knowing when "everyone is doing it".

So I read up on MySpace, figured out it's Friendster-ish and didn't sign up because I don't care to do another of those things... Then last night I read in a NYT article that MySpace is owned by the Evil Empire (not the Yankees) but Rupert's News Corp. They were thinking about rebranding it and associating it with their Fox brand, but it took off so quickly (started I think in late 2004, and since July it's members have literally doubled) they wanted to capitalize on the MySpace name so they stuck with it.

Rupert, a self admitted "digital immigrant", isn't sure how to use the internet to News Corp's advantage, but I bet that I won't like what they decide. Stay out of the internet, Rup - it'll overwhelm you old man.

2 Comments:

At January 11, 2006 10:46 PM, Blogger AMF said...

If I was 16 I would be all over MySpace trying to get as many people as I could to join. I would also post all the quizzes I took, like which crayola crayon are you? It would be pink and purple with lots of glittery stuff all over it. But I'm not 16, so I'm not apart of MySpace.

 
At January 14, 2006 4:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

myspace is for people in bands and whores. this is what i have concluded from myspace. like you laura, i do not care to sign up for another of those things. i am a friendster.
also, rupert just purchased myspace about 3 months ago. and do you know who is heading up the new "rupert/internet take over" initiative? none other than NAM's very own Heather Harde. do you remember her?? you may recall her as the boss of adam noren, whose hair i still desparately want to run my fingers through...
-natty:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home