Monday, January 16, 2006

Step it up!

I understand that loads of people hate the new format of the Star Tribune - in mid October, they revamped both the hard copy and online edition. I'm not against change - I probably like it more than most people.

My biggest complaint about the hard copy is that it's hard to figure out which section contains which type of articles - labeling the Variety section "Source" still doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

However, my much larger complaint is this:

No, it isn't that there are more advertisements on the Trib's web edition now. Nor is it that Honda is advertising - I like Honda. No, it's the fact that this "summer" ad appeared on the Trib website just a few days ago - aka mid-January.

Something is wrong with their systems - "summer" ads appear in mid-January, and the main page keeps showing headlines that came out dated December 30, January 3, and similarly - aka 2 weeks old. If I accidently click on "Pay Dirt: Live it up on a budget" offering cheap New Years options or "Will factories have a Merry Christmas? Cyber Monday", a mid-Dec forecast of retail Q4 trends, I'm seriously boycotting the online Tribune.

Remove these old articles from the spotlighted articles on the main page, damn it.

UPDATE: I just saw the Honda Summer ad on Dictionary.com so it may not be the Trib's fault. But everything else is clearly the Trib f-ing up.

1 Comments:

At January 17, 2006 8:48 AM, Blogger Alicia said...

Their RSS feeds have been hosed as well I've noticed. Otherwise, I like the new format in general, especially the Signature section, but I agree the vague names are dumb.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home