Friday, April 28, 2006

Right choice, wrong criteria

With the weather forecast shaping up to be not-so-hot for the weekend, I'm working on a game plan for Amy's visit to town that does NOT involve sitting outside drinking beer (my original plan for her 48 hour visit).

Instead, I shall plan a mix of showing off Minneapolis appropriate to the weather (there goes walking around Lake Calhoun), socializing, and customizing all to Amy's interests.

It was with this in mind that I decided an option for our Sunday is going to church. Since she is a regular churchgoer, and the only Lutheran friend I have (aside from Missy's Tim and Rich I don't know any other Lutherans I've met post-Jackson) I decided to put in some church research since I've gone to church in Minneapolis exactly 0 times (aside from weddings). I began my research at the ELCA's surprisingly helpful website (if you're Missouri Synod Amy, lo siento) looking for a big church (anonymity) with a service after 10am on Sun AM (possibly hungover).

I should've know remembered the Central Lutheran Church - I've parked next door at their lot/ramp when going to the Conv Center but the place slipped my mind. I'm hoping to go there now because of the architecture - it's muy bueno. And free parking :)

However, another option is Gloria Dei in Highlight Park. I came across this church about 4 years ago when I started babysitting for the twins - it's in their neighborhood. I've never been inside, but from the outside, I think it's perfect. It reminds me of New England churches, which is ironic because there are virtually no Lutheran churches in New England, and virtually no New England looking churches in MN.

This validates that Alicia and I need to start a church tour - more for architecture to-do purposes than religious I suspect - and I'm not under the illusion that I'll meet my husband at church (Liz). 11am services and/or evening services at cool churches of various denominations joins our to-do list. And perhaps, maybe, possibly, I'll start that this Sunday. I'll update y'all.

3 Comments:

At April 28, 2006 5:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure either of these would be cool - plus I bet they have great music!
Let me know where you go.
Mom
PS I think Pastor Martin got his PhD conferred @ Central Lutheran.

 
At May 01, 2006 11:41 AM, Blogger AMF said...

I enjoyed the service at Central. I think you should go back sometime. Although you will have to get used to the larger congregation traditions. No more kneeling for communion :(

 
At May 02, 2006 5:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We call it "racing communion" at OSLC. I like it - quick & gets the job done!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home